St. Francis Xavier Parish
De Pere, Wisconsin

ABOUT US

Mission

We, the people of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Parish in De Pere, Wisconsin, united with the Diocesan Church of Green Bay and the universal Roman Catholic Church are a Eucharistic Community committed to worship, to education, to social service and to sharing our time, talent and our treasure.

STAFF DIRECTORY

Pastoral Team

PASTOR
Rev. Richard Getchel
920-337-2330, ext. 207 • Email

ASSOCIATE PASTOR
Rev. Matthew Faucett
920-337-2330, ext. 203 • Email

PASTORAL ASSOCIATE
Robin Therese
920-337-2330, ext. 208 • Email

DEACON
Dcn. Jim Gauthier
 920-337-2330 • Email

DEACON
Dcn. Mark Mullins
920-337-2330 • Email

FAITH FORMATION/YOUTH MINISTRY

DIRECTOR of FAITH FORMATION Theodosia Orlando • 920-337-2333, ext. 210 • Email

COORDINATOR of FAITH FORMATION Jane Charnetski • 920-337-2333, ext. 211 • Email

FAITH FORMATION SECRETARY Pam McKeefry • 920-337-2333, ext. 212 • Email

COORDINATOR of YOUTH MINISTRY René Martinez • 920-337-2330, ext. 213 • Email

 

PARISH OFFICE

BUSINESS ADMINISTRATOR Vicki Treml • 920-336-1813, ext. 306 • Email

ACCOUNTANT Tracy Glover • 920-336-1813, ext. 305 • Email

SECRETARY Laura Keyser • 920-336-1813, ext. 300 • Email

MAINTENANCE Bill Petasek • 920-336-1813

A BRIEF HISTORY

On the festival of St. Francis Xavier, December 3, 1669, Fr. Claude Allouez said the first Mass and called this mission by the name St. Francis Xavier. This marked the beginning of St. Francis Xavier Parish. In 1671, Fr. Allouez and Fr. Louis Andre built a bark chapel on the east bank of the Fox River, but was burned on December 22, 1672. The priests’ successor, Fr. Albanel, and Nicolas Perrot built another chapel in 1676, which also was destroyed by fire. In 1681, another chapel was begun, but burned before completion. In 1864, William Verboort, who would later be ordained and serve as the first Pastor of St Francis Xavier, became the architect for a chapel measuring 70-by-40-feet with a galley and seating for 600 people. By 1869, the area had grown and a second parish, St. Mary’s, was formed. The Irish and English stayed at St. Francis Xavier. On December 24, 1905, Bishop Joseph J. Fox dedicated the new St. Francis Xavier Church on Lewis Street.

In 1924, the current school building was constructed; additions and renovations were also done in 1960 and 1995. In 1970, the church was refurbished, but 10 days after the dedication, a strong wind blew the steeple onto the church roof, causing extensive damage. In September 1972, Bishop Aloysius Wycislo dedicated the present church on Michigan Street. The church was renovated in 1989 and a Parish Activity Center was added in 1995, known as the Fr. Tony Dolski Parish Center. In 2006, St. Francis Xavier and St. Mary parishes were linked.

Today they share a pastor and two school sites, with the Middle School grades at St. Francis Xavier. In 2014, the parish’s sesquicentennial was commemorated with the rebuilding of the bell tower. Our present pastor, V. Rev. Richard Getchel, was appointed in July of 2011.

Currently, there are over 800 families registered at St. Francis Xavier Parish. In addition to the staff of St. Francis Xavier, a generous group of volunteers assist our community through various committees that support different aspects of parish life.